Jersey Overseas Aid’s work is spread across four key areas:
Jersey’s multi-year development grants are concentrated on three key themes in six target countries. The purpose of our development projects is to catalyse sustainable economic and human development in some of the poorest countries in the world.The three thematic focus areas are:
- Dairy for Development – Improving livelihoods and nutrition
- Financial Inclusion – Access to useful, affordable financial services
- Conservation Livelihoods – Poverty reduction as a result of biodiversity conservation
JOA provides support to Jersey-based charities undertaking international development overseas. These organisations range in size from kitchen-table charities to the small number of large home-grown Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) which operate in multiple countries. Read about our work with Jersey Charities.
Jersey Overseas Aid responds to multiple humanitarian crises around the globe every year, addressing the needs of those whose lives have been shattered through armed conflict and natural disasters. We pledge support to underfunded ‘orphan’ emergencies as well as those which make the headlines. Read about our Humanitarian response work.
Through our volunteering and outreach activities, Jersey Overseas Aid facilitates the efforts of individuals and organisations in Jersey to learn about, and to provide, assistance to people in the world’s poorest countries. Read about our volunteering and outreach work.
- Volunteering projects - Since 1972 Jersey has facilitated parties of volunteers to work with communities in developing countries
- Bursaries – JOA actively encourages islanders to get involved in overseas projects. (link to Get involved bursaries)
- UN Junior Professional Officer scheme - This international programme provides young professionals an extraordinary opportunity to embark on a career within the UN. (link to Get involved UNJPO)
- Programme Associate (internship) - gives young people in Jersey their first opportunity to embark on a career in the sector